– Okay, you’re under arrest. (ratcheting handcuffs) Let’s see. You got really little hands. Op, that didn’t work. Hi guys. – Hi. I’m Peter. – Hi Mr. Peter. – What’s your name? – Ariel. – Hi Ariel, it’s nice to meet you. – You too. – So you guys are twins? – Yeah. – Yes. – Is one of you older than the other? – I’m older. – Ouuu, you know that. – But I’m taller. – Okay. All right. – Are you a police officer? – I am a police officer. – How long have you been a police officer? – For 14 years. – That’s a long time. – That is a long time. – What is your police name? – So my police name is Sergeant Barrett. – What’s a sergeant? – That’s what means I’m a police officer that has a team that I’m in charge of. – Ooooo. (quiet laughter) That’s cool. – Have you ever met a
police officer before? – Actually, yes. – You did? When? – Yeah, um. I was selling lemonade, like last year, summer. And he bought some. – What do police officers do? – When someone has an emergency, it’s our job to go out and
see if we can help them. – How long is your shift at work? – My shifts are 12 hours long. – Wow. – So you know when you guys
are sleeping at nighttime? – Um, hmm.
– Um, hmm. – That’s when I’m awake. – You’re a nocturnal.
– Kinda like a bat. – I am nocturnal like a bat, yeah. – What do you have around your belt? – Well these are all my tools. So I have this. And this is called a baton. Okay. So it comes out like that. – Hmmm. – Do you know what I use this for? – Baseball? – Baseball? It might do okay as a baseball bat, but I’m not very good at baseball. I can break windows if like a dog is stuck in a car, or a kid is stuck in a car, I can break windows with this. – Do you hit people with it? – Ahh, I might have to
hit a bad guy with it if he’s trying to hurt me, yeah. It’s also really good if dogs are mean, we can try and tell him, “Get back. “Get back from us.” – What’s this yellow thing? – Have you heard of a taser? – Yeah. – A taser could zap somebody like a (mumbles) tasers
– Like that. – I see in the movie.
– Zzzzz. – So what happens if somebody. (kids imitate taser effects) So the taser is a tool that we use that can make people do that. And it does it for a few seconds while the police can then go up and put handcuffs on the person. Do you guys wanna see what
the electricity looks like? – Um, hmm.
– Yeah. (discharges taser) – You guys see that? – Yeah. – What do you think about that? – That was cool. – Have you ever been tased? – Yeah. I got shot with this taser
when I was a new officer. – Was it painful? – It’s very painful. – You would have handcuffs? – Yeah, I do have handcuffs. So I carry two sets of handcuffs. – I can feel them? – Yeah. – They’re metal. – They look heavy. – Okay. – Look! (laughter) – Oh, boy. – Awww, come on and change ’em. – All right. (laughter) Okay. You want me to take that off? – Wait. How do you take. Whoa. – So do you see that one there? – Wait, is that? – So that’s a special kind of key that only fits handcuffs. – That looks like a pen. – Goes in there like that. And when I twist it. – Wow. – They open. – Do you carry a gun? – Yeah, I do. All police officers carry firearms. – Does it kill people or really hurt them? – Guns can kill people. Yeah, they’re very dangerous. – You ever have to kill anyone? – I have never, ever had to kill anyone. – Have you ever broke the law? – Yeah, I have. I remember getting a ticket for speeding. – Is there any disguised police? – Ah, yeah, there are. A lot of times, those are detectives. – Woooo, a detective.
– Yeah. – [Boy] That’s cool. – Do you ever save animals? – We do save animals, yeah. – Cool. Like any cats? – Ahh, yeah, actually I’ve
helped cats out before. – What color is your toothbrush? – Wow, I’ve never been
asked that question before. (laughter) My toothbrush is green right now. – Wooo. – Yeah, I use a green toothbrush. – Okay, do all cops love donuts? (laughter) – Hmmm. I think most of ’em like donuts. Pretty sure about that. I think everybody kinda likes donuts. – What’s your favorite kind of donut? – I like maple donuts where
they put bacon on top of it. – They put bacon on donuts? – It sounds crazy. It’s like super delicious, though. – Have you ever been hurt
chasing after bad guys? – I have, actually, yeah. I hurt my foot really bad one time. – Do you feel bad for people
that you have to arrest? – Sometimes. There’s people that we
arrest and, you know, they’re very sorry for what they did, but we still have to do
our job to arrest them ’cause that’s part of our job. – What kind of people are bad guys? – Well, you know you can’t
tell looking at somebody whether they’re a good
person or a bad person. But bad guys are just people
that make the wrong choices. – Do you think that police
officers across the nation are treating different races fairly? – I hope so. I know where I work it’s
really important for us, and we believe very strongly
that it’s really important to treat everyone fairly, no matter where they come
from or what they believe, and especially what they look like. – If a police officer
ever did something bad, could they go to jail? – Anybody, if they do something wrong, can go to jail, even police officers. – What do people get wrong about cops? – I think sometimes people, they don’t understand that police officers are just people, too. We wanna do this job to help people. We don’t want people.
– Like firemen. – Just like firemen. We don’t want people to be scared of us. I hope that you and your friends and stuff wouldn’t be scared of police. I want you guys to be
able to come talk to us if you wanna talk to us. – Thank you. – Thank you. It was really nice meeting you today. – Super nice to meet you, too. (imitates soft explosion) – It was pretty awesome. I’m Sergeant Barret, and thank you for watching
Kids Meet a Police Officer. If you want to see more Kids Meet videos, click over here. And if you wanna subscribe to HiHo, click over here. Thanks for watching.